trash-y valentines


I'm back!  Sometimes these things take longer than expected but my computer is now almost fully operational so I thought I would try a quick post today.

I mentioned in my last post that we have been up to lots of creative things so today I thought I would start with a Valentine post of sorts.
 
Once again I have been digging through the recycling bin and wanted to share a few ideas on how I turned our "trash" into fun materials that the kids can make their Valentine cards with.
 
I recently purchased two very fun heart shaped punches (on sale!) but in all honesty I didn't really need them to make any of these Valentines.  A simple heart shaped cardboard template to trace around and cut out with scissors works just fine.  Use those fancy edged scissors to create a scalloped edge.

So what bits of trash did I see potential in?

Toilet rolls

  Glossy photo paper trimmings from my son's Birthday party invitations.

 Birthday card envelopes 
(remember the INSIDE of the envelope has not been written on!)

Government envelopes!  Ah ha! 


Security envelopes (for patterns)


Small scrapbook paper scraps.


 Vellum paper scraps

 School notices!


Tissue paper
I found the easiest way to cut tissue paper in the punch (or by hand) is by putting the tissue in between two layers of regular paper.  In the photo I used an envelope.

 
 Can you think of more paper scraps that I could use?!
~ joey ~ 

Shared at: 
Like Mama~Like Daughter - Eco Kids Tuesday

Frontier Dreams - Keep Calm Craft On  

Seasons of Joy - Waldorf Wednesday

The Magic Onions - Friday's Nature Table

Natural Suburbia - Creative Friday
 

4 comments:

  1. Ahh, so lovely! And I LAUGHED at using the government envelopes TO CUT HEARTS OUT OF. That's too funny, depending on one's perspective. I'm always hoarding bits of paper that hold potential too. It's addictive. :-)

    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!! Be still my recycling heart! (tehehe) Thanks, Joey, for sharing with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday! Please join us again this week! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/01/an-enchanted-childhood-playschool_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. sigh.... wrong link (playschool + blogging = craziness lol) http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-funky-junky-windchime-at-eco-kids.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for eco-friendly Valentines. Thanks so much for sharing on Waldorf Wednesday. Hope to see you back soon!
    http://ourseasonsofjoy.com/waldorf-wednesday-link-up/waldorf-wednesday-20/

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading your thoughts and ideas about the posts that I write here. It's nice to just say hi too!
~ joey ~