mini holiday #2

This post is going to be mostly photos because it's really so hard to describe this amazing little island in words!

Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada

I spent a lot of my childhood on this island visiting my grandparent's lake house, I love returning to the island to see what has changed and what has remained the same!
First the ferry ride...
::  a different ferry now runs (the old one had a cafeteria upstairs) but it's still an exciting trip!  ::
::  breathtaking scenery on the 35 min. route.  Salt Spring Island straight ahead!  ::
Then a short drive into Ganges (pronounced /gan'jees/ ) for the Open Market!
Hundreds of incredibly talented vendors!  Here are just a few...
::  street musicians  ::
::  toymakers  ::
::  soapmakers  ::
::  bread makers  ::
::  lavender and fresh produce...  ::

::  ...and every kind of locally made food.    ::
It was in this part of the market that we discovered sprouted peanuts!  OMG Yummy!!!  And seed crackers and kale chips like we've never tasted before!  Dehydration at 100*F ensures that the sprouted organic ingredients are still live!  I'll never make them in the oven again!

::  potters  (we bought the blue bowl under his armpit!  it has a faint dragonfly design inside!)  ::
::  Ganges marina from the boardwalk  ::
A visit to the playground was a must...
::  yes there was more to play on, I just loved these two vintage friends!  ::

And then at the end of the day we made our way back to the ferry terminal.
::  more cute shops to explore  ::
::  artist's studios tucked into all kinds of old buildings  ::
::  The ice cream shop, it's been there forever!  ::
::  more creative corners...  ::
::  ...and funky signage  ::
Here comes the ferry to take us back home! 

A day filled with family, warm sunshine, nature's beauty, colour, creativity, healthy homemade foods, play and a few new treasures...is a lot to be thankful for...
xoxo
~ joey ~

2 comments:

  1. Oh you lucky, lucky gal! I would have come home with my brain exploding and my pockets empty so perhaps it is just as well that I just read your post!

    I have a friend living on Salt Spring Island - a fabulous Saori weaver. I wonder if she was there.

    Thank you for sharing your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam!
    Thanks for stopping by!
    I didn't see any weavers but there was so much to see!
    ~ joey ~
    ps. I traced the Dala Horse cookie cutter onto one of my kid's preschool painting and cut out "Eric Carle" style horses. I then glued them onto a gift along with letters cut out to spell their name. It looked great!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading your thoughts and ideas about the posts that I write here. It's nice to just say hi too!
~ joey ~